How to Update Payroll Pro Version 1
You can quickly update Payroll Pro to the latest version by clicking 'check for updates online'. This is located just below the payroll version number over to the left side of the Payroll Main Menu. Alternatively you can select 'Help' from the top menu and then click 'Check for Updates Online' in the drop down menu.
If the 'check for updates online' option is not available you may just have an earlier version of Payroll Pro - version 1.40 or lower. If this is the case see the section further down the page below titled "If you have any other problems".
Windows Blocking the Update
If you have Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or higher, then Windows may be blocking the update process, so you may need to run Payroll Pro as an "Administrator" to update.
To run Payroll Pro as an "Administrator":
> Exit all programs including Payroll Pro.
> Right click on the shortcut icon on your desktop, and choose "Properties".
> Next, find the "Compatibility" tab and select this.
> Locate "Run as Administrator" and tick this.
> You will find that each time you run Payroll Pro, Windows will ask you if you are sure you want to run this program -
just answer Yes (or OK).
Now run Payroll Pro again, and try clicking "Check For Updates Online..." again.
If your update stops or gives error message
If you click "Check For Updates Online" and then click the "Download Now.." button and either nothing happens after this or you receive an error message, it may be that the update file "ppv1up.exe" has been corrupted somehow and/or Windows is not letting Payroll Pro replace this.
Deleting the file ppv1up.exe from the Payroll Pro folder may solve this.
To delete this file:
- The name of the Payroll Pro folder is usually PayPro, but can sometimes be in Program Files\PayPro or another folder name entered when it was installed. The folder name can be found by going to HELP then ABOUT where you will see "Payroll Pro is running from
- Go to "My Computer" (or just "Computer" in some Windows versions)
- Locate the drive your payroll is installed on. This is usually drive C: and may show as "Local Disk C:".
- Double Click to open it and then locate the Payroll Pro folder. This is often one of the following - see step 1 above if you cannot find this:
If you cannot see this, then go to "Program Files" and look for the folder name there.
If you still cannot locate the folder, right click the shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties". The "Start In" folder will show the name of the folder
- Once you have located the folder name, double click it to open it.
- Now locate the file PPV1UP.EXE and delete just this file.
- Exit all programs, then restart your computer.
- Once the computer has restarted, run Payroll Pro again and try the update again.
If you have any other problems
If you have problems updating through Payroll Pro, please try the following:
- Download the update file by clicking here: ppv1up.exe and save it into your Payroll Pro folder.
- If you are unsure where your Payroll Pro is installed you can run Payroll Pro and select HELP then ABOUT. This will show you where Payroll Pro is. Alternatively, you can right click the shortcut on your desktop and select properties. The Start In folder will show you the name of the Payroll Pro folder.
- After saving the file, run it and it should automatically update Payroll Pro for you.
If you have problems with the above, it may be that Windows is blocking Payroll Pro from updating. Please try the following:
- Create a new folder on your hard drive - eg PayTemp
- Save the file ppv1up.exe into this new folder.
- Now run the file.
- You will be asked where Payroll Pro is installed. Instead of entering the location of Payroll Pro here, enter the name of the temporary folder you just created and saved the file in - eg PayTemp.
- You will be given a message advising that Payroll Pro is not here and asking if you would like to put the files here anyway - Answer "Yes"
- Answer YES to the next confirmation prompt also.
- When complete a message will advise that Payroll Pro has been updated, but because we are doing something a little different here, the process is not actually complete.
- Now use "My Computer" (or "Computer") and locate the folder above. Double click to open it.
- Now select all files - One way to select all files is by using CTRL+A on your keyboard.
- Next copy these either by pressing CTRL+C on your keyboard, or right click with the mouse and select COPY.
- Now use "My Computer" (or "Computer") again and locate the Payroll Pro folder and double click to open it.
- Paste the copied files into the folder.
The files can be pasted by right clicking and selecting Paste, or by pressing ALT + E to open the top menu and selecting the "Paste" option.
- You should be asked if you want to replace the files – answer "Yes To All" so that all the updated files are copied.
- You should run Payroll Pro and the version number should show the latest version.
If you still have problems
If you still have problems please email us for a CDROM (you can find our email address here).